So what is the point of it? According to the university site it gives the right to:
- participate in Discussions (part of the University's decision-making process)
- vote in the election of a new Chancellor or High Steward
- borrow books from the University Library
- Many colleges also offer their senior members the opportunity to dine at High Table on a certain number of occasions each year.
- An old tradition that should be kept alive.
- A sign of commitment to the on-going life of the university.
- A good excuse to get together with your friends.
Here is a picture of my daughter and some of her frinds proving that my third point is correct.