Wednesday 15 April 2009

Dyslexia


I have just seen Sir Jackie Stewart on TV talking about the problems he had a school due to his dyslexia; a condition that wasn't diagnosed until he was 41. I was in my 30s before I found out why I couldn't write neatly and found the order of letters in words confusing. He was told he was stupid whereas I, probably because I was good at maths, was told I was naughty but neither of us enjoyed school.

However I can think of a couple of plus points to being dyslexic; I think in pictures not words so I can sometimes grasp complex issues quickly and I always stop and think "how does this sound" before putting anything into words on paper (or screen.) This stops me putting things down too quickly and regretting it later. I worry that on-line people can react too quickly and put things down that either they would never say face to face or phrase it in a way that can easily get twisted. Needless to say I won't be Twittering!

No comments: